Friday, November 19, 2010

Day #8


If I could only express to you the true inner peace I feel when I have a rattan stick in my hands.
I can feel the shifting weight as I move back and forth to adjust my positioning.
Heel to ball of foot, foot to heel.
Step, to stomp, to slide.
Triange step, wide, thin.
Shifting leads.

It's simply amazing how I've progressed.
When I first started I couldn't move my feet to attack at the same time.
I said "Bruce! It's impossible! Too much to do at once. Too much to pay attention too!"
And he says "You are smarter than you think."
and "If you were stupid, I wouldn't waste my time with you."

Now I find myself moving and adjusting range based on the other persons position.
I never thought I could; I don't even do it on purpose.
It's like second nature.

Then it came to learn how to use my empty hand.
Which is the hand that DOESN'T have a stick.
I said "Bruce, I have to move, attack, and use my second hand to block or disarm?!"
And he said "You can do this, give yourself more credit."

Now I free flow (attack/block/counter slowly, in turns) and my partner says,
"Stop grabbing my stick with your free hand!"
and I say "Sorry, I don't mean to, it just happens."
It is now like second nature. I am able to move per attack, adjust, and use my free hand."

I have much, much more to learn. How to shift my weight and keep balance.
The half-steps, the dropping to attack, largo-mono.
Different ranges of attacks.

But, I love escrima. I truly found a hobby I have a real passion for.
For no other reason than do enjoy that hour, twice a week, with Bruce.

For my birthday, the gift Bruce gave me was this statement:
"You will become a great escrimador one day. You have a gift, truly."
I was glowing for a week. It brought tears to my eyes.

I train hard, and practice harder.
If I miss a class, for any reason, I feel angry and restless.
It truly has become a need. A desire. A must.

One day, I hope, I can move like the "old men".
To make Bruce proud.
To have all different sizes and weights of sticks.
To be able to understand the connection between double stick, single, and completely empty.
To be able to fight with a staff.

Only time will tell, but this is one thing I will never be able to give up.
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment